[lit-ideas] Re: What is information?

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:27:43 +0100

When intuition fails, consult a dictionary.

Chambers English Dictionary provides the definition: 'intelligence given'.

This seems to imply a two-stage requirement. What is contained is intelligence (ranging from simple to complex) and that it is passed on or has been communicated in some way.

Given that, I'm uncertain whether this message can be defined as 'information'.

Simon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter D. Junger" <junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>