[lit-ideas] Re: What is information?

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:35:52 -0400

Robert Paul wrote:

"If the license examiner says, 'Well, now, Mr Enns, I need just a few
more facts,' I think you'd respond just as you would had he said, 'I
need just a little more information.'"

But of course she doesn't mean any sort of fact, but facts for a
particular purpose.  As I said, I don't think the distinction between
facts and information is terribly precise but on occasion it is a
helpful one to make.  Furthermore, I am not sure whether facts are
without purposive contexts so the difference between facts and
information might be one of degree.

Robert continued:

"Then there's the problem of outdated information."

But this would seem to make my point.  Could one talk about an outdated
fact?

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON