[lit-ideas] Re: What is information?

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 13:55:00 -0700

I wrote:

I don't think
Phil's suggestion (insofar as I understand it) commits him to saying that
information has to be useful (what 'for understanding by anyone' means isn't
clear)?

Apparently he does want say something like this: that it has to be potentially useful (unlike 'Either it's raining or it isn't.').

THOUGH it's rank anthropomorphism to say that a computer
is 'carrying out instructions' (or thinking to itself) the implausibility of
this doessn't entail that we can read back from what the computer is doing,
something that can be symbolized. This may _not_ be possible; but

Robert Paul