[lit-ideas] Re: Study: Media coverage has favored Obama campaign

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:16:26 -0330

Having paged through his Kant, Walter responds -------------->

Quoting Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> RP:
> > And who they are; and who is funding them; and where their results are
> > published. Details, details...
>
> RP is obviously being satanic in his call for details.  I totally agree with
>
> Eric, minus, of course, his insistence on "balance", which seems to me
> totally unbalanced.  Not that Eric himself is unbalanced, rather that the
> idea that such a thing as non-prejudicial observation is even possible  (Oh
> Lord, I can already hear Walter paging through his Kant.)

--------> Mike's claim regarding the possibility (or not) of non-prejudicial
observation is a transcendental claim. In making that claim, Mike must
believe that the claim is "true" or "right" or "holds" in some way that is open
to critical assessment. We attribute the latter belief to Mike because we
assume
he is a rational agent. (Yes, yes, I know .... but bear with me for the sake of
argument ....)

However, if the claim must be believed to be true or right, then that claim
contradicts Mike's previous claim that no non-prejudicial observation is
possible. It is senseless to claim: "No non-prejudicial observations are
possible, but then my observation here is a prejudiced one."

We are thus compelled to issue the verdict that Mike is (once again) embroiled
in a textbook case of performative self-contradiction. Suitable penalties for
this egregious and repeated epistemic infraction will be meted out at the
appropriate time and place. Until that time and place, the guilty party shall
refrain from making putative knowledge claims and cease and desist expressing
utterances possibly bearing semantic content. Nor is he permitted to leave
town.
Bail is set at one Canadian nickel.

Walter O. Friday
Fifth Precinct
Division of Forensic Logic and Sub-lunar Thought
Miami Beach, FL