[lit-ideas] Re: Study: Media coverage has favored Obama campaign

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:07:03 +0900

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  The point is that scholars and researchers are developing standards for
> showing the extent by which public opinion is manipulated by media election
> coverage.

A critical reader might want to note, however, that, when scholars and
researchers talk about developing standards, the standards in question are
inevitably debatable. When proposed standards become accepted standards,
they are no longer controversial and no longer of sufficient interest to be
discussed in magazines. Thus, mere reference to "scholars and researchers"
has no standing as evidence unless we are told just what it is that they are
proposing.

John

--
John McCreery