[lit-ideas] Re: Study: Media coverage has favored Obama campaign

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 19:25:00 -0800

John McCreery wrote

Sociolinguist Deborah Tannen in a book titled The Argument Culture has, I believe, suggested that the 24-hour news cycle is responsible for promoting the idea that pairing two extreme views and giving them equal time constitutes "balance." The original model is the courtroom, where attorneys for the prosecution and defense take turns, each getting the same number of rounds to present his or her case.

It isn't clear if she's including newspapers; what I was puzzled about was how it came to be thought that newspapers (as opposed to TV) fall under this notion of 'balance.'

In a courtroom it isn't necessary for each side to have the same number of 'rounds,' but simply the same number of opportunities (which may or may not be used) to examine witnesses, give opening and closing arguments, etc. (A quibble, no more.)

One difficulty with this approach is that it tends to exclude moderate views, which because they do not lend themselves to exciting verbal combat, do not increase TV ratings.

Does anybody remember 'Crossfire' on CNN? All I can recall of it is that every afternoon James Carville and Robert Novak screamed at each other for half an hour. A lesson in democracy, reason, courtesy, and fair play, if there ever was one.

Robert Paul