[lit-ideas] Re: Study: Media coverage has favored Obama campaign

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:13:13 +0700

To my:

".... my earlier point was that it is impossible to articulate how
media outlets should be balanced except with reference to examples of
being unbalanced."

Eric replies:

"True, but so what? The article I referenced describes a growing area
of media studies which will eventually be able to provide a solid
empirical foundation for claims of media bias."

It makes no sense to claim that there could be 'solid empirical
foundations for claims of media bias' if it is impossible to
articulate the nature of balanced coverage.  One can, of course, point
out cases of bias where virtually everyone agrees, but how does one
settle a difference of opinion?

I assumed you were interested in balanced coverage.  Now I realize you
are only interested in showing the bias of media.  My bad.  Carry on.

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia