[lit-ideas] Re: Study: Media coverage has favored Obama campaign

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 19:35:37 -0600

RP:
And who they are; and who is funding them; and where their results are published. Details, details...

RP is obviously being satanic in his call for details. I totally agree with Eric, minus, of course, his insistence on "balance", which seems to me totally unbalanced. Not that Eric himself is unbalanced, rather that the idea that such a thing as non-prejudicial observation is even possible (Oh Lord, I can already hear Walter paging through his Kant.) How could any human being not be prejudicial in anything she thinks, believes, wants, values? How could she have ever stepped outside herself to become to such a balancer ? To me, balance means that PBS and FOX are equally available to all. The fact that FOX has ten thousand times more viewer-listeners than PBS doesn't have anything to do with balance if both are equally available to all. What people with different values from those of most FOX fans (please understand that I have no idea whether Eric is a FOX fan or not, but if he is, then so what?), my point is that there is no way to make judgments apart from whom we are. So what's newsworthy is probably determined by age 10. This is an undisputable fact, btw. Unless you're a Kantian, of course.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
Thus, mere reference to "scholars and researchers" has no standing as evidence unless we are told just what it is that they are proposing.

And who they are; and who is funding them; and where their results are published. Details, details...

Robert Paul