[lit-ideas] Re: Seeking the Prime source

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:19:01 +0000

I read alllllllllllllll that at the time.  Hirsi Ali described fleeing an
abusive situation.  She was young.  She just wanted to get out, The Dutch
accepted that at the time.  But then her family said, "oh, no, Hirsi.  We would
accept you back.  You didn't need to flee."  They in effect called her a liar.
Therefore Hirsi Ali was accused of lying and her citizenship null and void.
But think about it.  Hirsi Ali is an atheist.  She is critical of Islam.  Does
anyone really think she could have gone back?  Or maybe she could have gone
back into that situation before her ideas were fully formed, even though she
knew she had to flee because of the oppression she felt even though her family
didn't think she should feel it.  Her enemies dredged this up and it worked.
Muslims were against her in Holland.  A good friend had been assassinated and
the knife stuck in his chest with a note saying Hirsi Ali was next, and then
her government, the government she was part of, even her own party, withdrew
their support of her.  She opted not to fight with her family; which she would
have had to do if she intended to defend herself against their allegations that
she didn't need to flee.  She opted not to fight with her government.  Her main
allies in government withdrew their support.  Was the Islamic attempting to
intimidate the Dutch government into abandoning Hirsi Ali?  You bet it was.
You can say she could have stayed, fought her family, fought the government
party, kept hiding from the people who swore to kill her, but anyone looking at
her story with other than hostile eyes would understand that she was driven
from Holland.  And now she is here.  Their loss is our gain.

Lawrence

From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, Mar-13-2007 9:32 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Seeking the Prime source

>The Dutch in my opinion behaved shamefully toward Hirsi Ali by
removing her citizenship on >a technicality

The Dutch did not remove her citizenship.  The Minister concerned
was
pushed into investigating the matter and found that Ali's
citizenship was null
and void because it had been obtained by deception (a policy Ali
would
be the first to support in other cases), but the Dutch parliament
passed a motion
declaring Ali a special case.  Her citizenship was therefore not
removed.
(Her residency permit, I believe, had never been affected.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK