[lit-ideas] Re: Seeking the Prime source

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:24:14 -0000

Lawrence, there's no need to have a hissy fit just because you've been caught
out. (Teenagers eh!) And it seems we're getting back to your standard problem:
that whereas you can quote a book you're reading, nobody can comment on it
because they haven't read it. Tough I say. And to say that Steyn is in anyway
brilliant ignores the facts of his career so far: a drop out becomes a DJ who
becomes a arts critic who then (probably because of his relationship with
Conrad Balck) was switched to political comment. Steyn maybe a good writer but
all that I've read about him suggests that his only credible attribute is that
his political views match up with what by now must be a sizeable market in
right wing political punditry.

So far, beyond quoting a few fertility rate figures for European countries, you
have made no significant demographic argument, you have failed to note any
significant demographic study, you have not once referenced a European census
database, indeed, the only evidence you are able to put forward for
consideration are the anecdotals that Steyn includes in his book; it's not
sufficient to say that because there's a mosque next to Regent's Park it must
mean that Muslims are taking over Britain, or that because somebody in the
Netherlands has been stabbed by a Muslim, that country only has a fews years to
go before it adopts muslim laws.

Evidence that will impress me must include a statistical demographic model
showing how a Muslim minority of less than one per cent of the population (with
fertility rates exceeding 2) can and will outstrip the remaining 99 per cent
(with fertility rates just exceeding 1), bearing in mind that the relevent
muslim population for your argument are extremists. Since you're clearly a
demographic expert, get on Excel, construct the model and show the results.
Alternatively, search on Google and see what you can find.

Alternatively you could just revert to type and either call me an idiot or else
reject what I have to say because I've disqualified myself by not reading Steyn
or Huntingdon.

Simon

  From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Date: Mon, Mar-12-2007 6:00 PM
  Ah the climb down. No proof pending clearly.

  The trouble is Lawrence, as I keep saying, commentators like Steyn are
preaching to the converted, espousing vacuous theories that are at the same
time wrong and yet exactly what their audience wants to hear. All of the Steyn
quotes you've transcribed relate to third party anecdotals that appear to
vindicate he's central thesis that Islam is taking over Europe. This isn't
sound academic practice as you well know.

  So now it turns out that even as you keep pasting the walls of Lit-Ideas with
Steyn's words you don't actually agree with what he has to say.

  The Prime Source in this debate about demographics is, surprisingly enough,
demographics, not political commentary. Try looking on the net for European
census data, do some work, then come back with some results. And a hint, don't
forget the young Eastern Europeans - all most all of child bearing age - that
are streaming into Western Europe looking to work, looking to benefit from
western culture, looking to perpetuate it. Does Steyn mention these new
immigrants at all?

  Simon