[lit-ideas] Re: On being called a Lyre

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:57:27 -0400

Mike: I'm not sure I understand the difference between "an emotional moral approach" and "unexamined political prejudice and stereotyping."

I was trying to make a distinction between

(a) those who select a candidate based on their perception of the candidate's professed moral intentions and values -- and in so doing, disregard what Phil recently called the "Hobbesian" nature of geopolitics ... in short, the group for whom all political decisions are solely moral and do not admit any other considerations

and

(b) those who vote for a party because that's the party they vote for and will always vote for, because it's the right party and they vote for it, e.g., "Yellow Dog Democrat."