[lit-ideas] Re: On being called a Lyre

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:43:21 +0700

Walter O. wrote:

"As an independent topic, I am intrigued by the notion of an
'emotional moral approach.' 'Morality,' I would have thought, concerns
the obligations we have to others and ourselves in virtue of being
rationally autonomous agents.  Affective factors would seem to be
irrelevant to such obligations or to the form of reasoning we require
of ourselves and others when engaged in moral deliberation and
judgement."

My suggestion, as Walter already knows, is that moral deliberation and
judgement require the input of emotional intuitions as grist for the
mill.  Without these emotional intuitions, the wheels of moral
deliberation spin wildly and uselessly.

This is not at all to lessen the importance of moral deliberation.
Emotional intuitions are not moral.  When they are confused with
morality, one finds the category mistake of confusing what ought to be
done in the world with one's reactions to that world.  Instead, moral
deliberation works most effectively when there is careful
consideration of the various emotional intuitions interested parties
bring to the discussion.  What people agree ought to be done is not
dependent on any particular affective factor, but such an agreement is
not possible without those factors.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Yogyakarta, Indonesia