[lit-ideas] Re: On being called a Lyre

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:56:15 -0500

EY:
Emotions provide moral intuitions that are necessary for deliberative
activity.  Without them, there are no means for distinguishing the
slaughter of a cow from the slaughter of a person.

I agree with this, but I hasten to point out that there are those among us who would fault you and I for not having the moral intuition to realize that there is no distinction between slaughtering a cow and slaughtering a person. I don't have an answer for them except to say that within my belief system there is such a distinction. I can't prove it, but I believe in a hierarchy of species of beings that approves of killing and eating any species that can't tell me not to. Sweet cultural approbation. It also allows for wars as long as you don't eat the enemy.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>