[lit-ideas] Re: MH, with updated linkhttp://www.corriere.it/english/15_febbraio_09/heidegger-jews-self-destructed-47cd3930-b03b-11e4-8615-d0fd07eabd28.shtmling

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 11:13:24 +0100

Well, I am not sure why this is posted as something worthy of attention,
but since it is...

1. The Jews in the early 20. century did not have a 'land', at least not in
the sense of nation-state, but they had a tradition. That tradition makes
claims about their history that are probably largely false - for example,
extensive archaelogical excavations at Jerusalem have failed to turn up the
supposed city of David and Solomon - but tradition they had. They also had
several languages of their own.

2. Genetical studies of Ashkenazi Jews have shown a fair amount of genetic
uniformity among them, probably not less than most modern nations have.

3. Until relatively recent times, the Jews were not particularly
technologically advanced. The most technologically advanced civilization on
the Earth until the 17th century (if not later) was China, which didn't
have too many Jews.

4. The Jews in late medieval Europe onward were connected with banking, but
this wasn't so much for reasons of culture or lack of it. The main reason
is that they were barred from possessing land in most medieval European
states (excepting Poland where they engaged in agricultural occupations)
and often also from artisan occupations (by the guilds; in Ottoman empire,
they worked as artisans).True, it helped that the Jewish religion did not
prohibit usury while medieval Christianity attempted to prohibit it,
although the Catholic Venice, Florence, and Genoa had bankers.

Thus, Heigger's premises are largely false, although even if they were true
this would not in any way warrant the conclusion.

O.K.