[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 07:46:59 -0500

This is true.  It's like slapping someone on the back who has a sunburn as
opposed to someone without a sunburn.

> To say, as Stan does, that Muslims were "welcomed" in
> Denmark is to my knowledge not true, but I haven't
> kept in touch with the few Danes I know nor have I
> been there for a long while, so maybe Andreas or
> someone else will correct me if I'm wrong here. It
> seems to me that the Danish Muslims outraged are
> outraged in general about their plight, I very much
> doubt that had say Maroccan newspaper ran exactly the
> same cartoons there would've been such uproar.
>
> What you seem to advocate is that rest of the society
> should under such circumstances be extremely
> sensitive. This is humane, civil, appealing, unhelpful
> and unrealistic.

Unrealistic because it's humane, civil and appealing.  Humans are better at
throwing crap.

Many Europeans have deep suspicions
> about immigrant in general, and do assosiate Islam
> with Terrorism. We can't wish or legistalate this
> away.

We can have a war over it instead.

> Denmark, nay Europe, needs a long, thorough and
> sustained debate on immigration and the role of
> religion on the society. Ignorant, idiotic views need
> to be protested like many Muslims and others are
> doing, in general shown wrong and ridiculed. We can't
> do this if such views are silenced. I most certainly
> do not want to hand the caweman group the opportunity
> to cry victim over censorship.

Europe had major tens of millions dead type wars.  They're as uncivilized
as anybody anywhere.  Censorship wasn't necessary, just a little humanity.
Didn't happen.