[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 13:52:31 EDT

In a message dated 9/4/2005 12:27:46 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Surely,  in the 20-30,000 people in
the Superdome, there were ministers, police,  Scount troop leaders, doctors,
ex-military, and
so  on.

Hi,
No, I don't think there were.

As I stated, many of those left behind were medically indigent, did not  have
resources, did not have problem-solving skills.

I'm on the board of the Family Literacy Center. The teen parents (and
sometimes their parents) do NOT have problem-solving skills--or much of any
type  of
skill at all. Left to their own devices, slipping through the cracks, they
would NOT acquire those skills just by breathing.  Those skills *have* to  be
taught. Sometimes a personality 'lends' itself towards  leadership or
problem-solving or project management.  So, for them, it  comes more easily.

The rest of us (without that personality or gifted gene <g>) have to  'work'
at it--and it's hard enough with training!

 Just watching my son work through the Personal Management merit badge
requirements made me think about how much more he has to learn...and he's
pretty
bright.  That is a very useful tool for teaching problem-solving skills-and  I
know a number of people who would not be able to manage. (and some of them
are, actually, pretty smart. I still remember the farmer who used to help us on

some projects telling me that 'Your dad is so smart--he can put a man on the
moon. But, it's a good thing we're your neighbors.'  (my dad was a
mathematician--and the way he used to plan projects on the farm used to drive
my
siblings crazy [who ended up in engineering as they were very  practical])

But, no.  There was only one nurse in the entire 20,000 people. From  what I
understand, there really were NOT people with the sorts of skills and  talents
and gifts and leadership SKILLS that you mention.  That is not to  say that
they didn't offer other gifts and talents to others there--they did try  to
protect each other from the weirdos--think of the guy who ran for  help to the
Nat'l Guard that was roaming the streets to see if they could  come in and stop
the guys who were raping...he was shot trying to stop and  ask for help. The
crowd DID end up killing the guy who was raping--but they  were locked into the
Dome by that time--even if they tried to leave,  they couldn't--and they DID
try to leave. (Were being shot if they  did)

The NOPD did an awesome job-with what they had. Two committed suicide
because of feeling like our feds abandoned them and they were not able to help
like
they wanted.  They may have been too much of 'big picture'  people--were
probably task-oriented and not able to see or believe that what  they were
doing
was a blessing--that by helping even one or two here or there  when there were
so many around who needed help--was still important.

It's easy when you are bright and smart to think that those of us who have
to actually *work* at things or who might get frozen inside--but if you are
ever  in Need, those are often the ones who will offer the best comfort or sing
the  best songs or make you smile. Those are the Gifts that the littles in the
Dome  have to offer us in the world...I'm one of those people--even as
systematic as I  am. My siblings are ALL better at planning, most of the time,
but a
couple of  years ago when one set was in crisis--I was the one (well, my
child, too, for he  is actually better at it then I am) who held them all
together
and told them  that they would come through it. And, they did. And one of the
family members  told me that she'd always wondered why I ended up in our
family...<g>  Those in that Dome are MY people. MINE. I'm not that  great at
what
needed to be done, either--not naturally and not by  personality.  I've been
trained and I see the 'big picture'--and since I  have that savior/mother/big
sister gene, I'd probably help--but I'd probably  have been more like the nurse
was. And she WAS/IS awesome...

But the ones like the scout leaders, etc. were already organizing their own
neighbors/friends and out of there. They are now in Dallas or San Antonio or
Austin...and some of them are in horrible straits even now, in spite of their
skills...

Best,
Marlena in Missouri