[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 18:51:48 +0100

Saturday, September 3, 2005, 4:53:31 AM, Paul Stone wrote:

PS> Dude, Canada has been in receivership since the late 60s. We are perilous.
PS> We live with it.

I think we beat you on that one! we're second only to the US...

PS> something. I see NONE of that in this 'disaster'. People were abandoned by
PS> their government and the national guard, FEMA etc. but they were also
PS> abandoned by the other 400,000 people who "knew better".

True.  People could have shared cars and pooled the rental cars.  Some
people did take neighbours, but I think on the whole that didn't
happen.

PS> take a look at who the people are who are STILL in New Orleans. Ask
PS> yourself why. It's not their fault. I'm not scapegoating. It's just the way
PS> it is. And the thing is, it was predictable and technically avoidable. In
PS> reality, it obviously was NOT avoidable, afterall, it actually happened.

*This* could have been avoided or at least massively mitigated, yes.

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx