[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:07:33 -0400

NOT
> crying real tears -- like, "crocodile tears". He's a completely morally
> bankrupt sensationalist who was rendered farcical 20 years ago - amemba
Al
> Capone's vault? Did you ever catch the Geraldo show? The fact that he's
> STILL on television and has become a hundred millionaire -- almost
> exclusively because of his media frenzy -- is testament to your
> thrill-seeking news craving. Is that clearer? How can you TRUST this
dickhead?

> I haven't watched television since last weekend (summer tele sucks) but
now
> sitting here watching it, it's fucking laughable. Not the topic of course
> -- that's serious -- but the way these flyboys go in there, get their
> stories and get out, completely detached from the humanity, all the while
> mock-crying, frowning and using words like "terrible" and "horrific" is
> disgusting. A guy who gets air-lifted to a bridge full of real refugees
> from such a deplorable [and avoidable] situation only to 'report' on the
> state of affairs, and then get spirited away to his nearby "safe" hotel
> room/trailer, only to change clothes and get a touchup on his makeup to
> return to the trenches is, how should I put this, a morally bankrupt
> detached asshole. Is that clear enough? News people are disgusting, lower
> than most lawyers. Roll up your goddamned sleaves and help. Dictate some
> order on this travesty. Quit reporting and help. Any prick can sit there
> and cry with the 'people' all the while knowing he can go, at any time.
> This guys one of  the biggest asswipes in the world.
>
> Julie is angry? I'm livid. The rain is not the disaster. The preparation
> and subsequent abandonment is the disaster. This is a lesson on exactly
how
> NOT to handle nature's wrath. FUCK!!!! And the news people have fueled
the
> fire. They fostered the 'cry wolf' mentality which rendered the poor
slobs
> of New Orleans immune to their warning. One of the biggest tragedies is
> that at least 25,000 people didn't take them seriously. THAT is a
problem.
> Now they are getting even more pablum and probably soaking that up
thinking
> that the news people are trying to help. NO... they want a story. They
have
> been on a feeding frenzy since BEFORE Last Thursday... and nobody quite
> salivates around this sort of things like Geraldo. He's a man? Go eat
some
> protein -- maybe then you can think clearer!

A.A. Wow, what a relief.  And here I thought you were a heartless dickhead.
You bring up some interesting points.  The media is sensationalist,
alarmist and anything but perfect.  Unfortunately, without the media all we
have is the government giving us information.  Then we'd be like Bush with
Condi telling him what he wants to hear.  Communists and Fascists control
the media.  We need the Geraldo's of the world to tell it like it really
is, even if he gets paid big bucks for it.  He broke the Willowbrook mental
hospital story years ago that led to genuine changes.  We need Geraldo,
Paul, and even if his tears weren't genuine, they were needed.  What we're
missing is Bush's tears for his country and for his people.  Any chain is
as strong as its weakest link, and we have a very weak link right now.

Andy