[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:06:03 -0400

PAS: > The upshot of the storm was that it was going to flood a city that
> was plotted in a bowl, below sea level, at the mouth of one of the
> biggest rivers in the world, in a known HURRICANE area. The property loss was
> inevitable.

A.A.  It was not inevitable, not at all inevitable.   Al Qaeda has to love
Bush.  I'm serious.

Do you understand the power of water? Do you KNOW how much it weighs? Do you know the wrath of a mile-wide river moving while swollen with torrential rain water? People have become too comfortable with 'technology'. Before the levees broke, when there were just a few feet of water in people's basements, they were complaining that 'the pumps are only pumping an inch an hour. They have no CLUE how much that is. Do some very simple calculations and calculate 20 square miles by 1 inch. Figure how many gallons that is. Still underwhelmed? Still going to complain? Faced with the possibility of going down hill, water WILL. The pressure of several dozen feet of water is immense. When it's moving, it's increased incredibly. How much do we need to spend on the levee? How 'secure' does a city need to be? Woulda Coulda Shoulda. The facts are what they are. The problem is that the city was NOT safe, could not possibly be safe, and was in jeopardy because of this immense amount of rain that fell and ran off. It is now under water.

People should have left. People didn't leave. People rely on technology and can't cope. 2 feet of shit in the stair well? They can't even improvise how to flush a toilet without pushing the button. That's pathetic. Flush toilets are very, very simple, gravity governed mechanisms. You don't need running water to flush. There was water everywhere. The survivors are living in squalor after only 5 days. Doesn't this teach us a lesson about how close we are teetering on anarchy? What is appalling is how helpless people are really. Left to their own devices, most people can't think their way out of a paper bag. Nobody took control? Of course not, they were waiting for the government to. Unfortunately, the teet was dry.

paul

[insert pithy quote here]
Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx