[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 00:00:41 EDT

In a message dated 9/2/2005 10:42:53 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
pas@xxxxxxxx writes:

Well, in  this day and age, I'd have to say "IT IS".

It's really hard in some areas in even my town to FIND an adult education
class.  It's really more difficult to find someone to watch your kids while
you
go to it.  It's really hard too when the piddly little job you have  won't
let you go take the one single day-time class that is available...

It's also hard to get to that place when you don't have  transportation.

It's hard when you are working two maybe three jobs in order to keep a roof
over your head and that of not only your kids, but the kids abandoned by some
horrid set of parents and also your sick uncle and your parents who are very
frail.

I wish you could hear some of the people who call me and are at their wit's
end.  If they have no transportation, no child care, no way to leave a job  to
take that one class in their area [if they COULD manage to find a ride]--and
then our sweet dear pres was cutting adult education funds so that in my
state,  we would only have about a third left of what we DO have.

Come visit if there are no people in your area who cannot read and all have
working cars and don't have to work two-three jobs in order to take care of
Others.  Sorry--trying to be funny again. <sigh> I really do know  that you
just don't know personally the ones who, when we are finally able to  assist
them, are so thrilled...and their kids are so proud.

Granted--there are some who have given up--but I know the ones who are
broken inside but keep on trying...and for them, I grieve so much...and wish I
had
not gone to saviors' anon and started on that 12 step plan to keep from
rescuing all the time...

Thinking of the littles,
Marlena