[lit-ideas] choosing to say

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 13:59:48 EDT

For those who wondered why more people didn't leave NOLA, today's
WashingtonPost has a good article, with interviews of those who had to or chose
stay. Here's the link (registration is required) :
_http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR20050903015
08.html._
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090301508.html.)

Here  are excerpts:
"To those who wonder why so many stayed behind when push came  to water's
mighty shove here, those who were trapped have a simple  explanation: Their
nickels and dimes and dollar bills simply didn't add up  to stage a quick
evacuation mission."
The two smooth-faced boys  on the floor, sitting on their backpacks, looked
more energetic than most. Corey  Wise, 17, and Jermaine Wise, 18, were once
residents of New Orleans's 17th  Ward.'Our family was already in a financially
depressive situation before the
hurricane,' Jermaine said.  He calculated where the family -- their  mother,
Marie, is divorced -- stood financially before the wind, water and
destruction.
'We had $300 between us,' he said, nodding toward his brother.  'Mom had
about $225 worth of savings. That was our emergency savings for  anything. And
that was a blessing.'
Their home was in a New Orleans  neighborhood called Holly Grove.

'A lot of drugs and violence in our neighborhood,' Corey said.  'It's  hard
to just get up and go when you don't have anything,' Jermaine said.  'Besides,
everything we know is in New Orleans.'"

Please read this before you completely judge them. Though I would just ask
that you evaluate and examine the resources the people had--mental and
physical--and ask if, having the very same resources [not the mental  knowledge
and
physical skills and know-how that you have], that they could  have done things
differently.

and then, look in your own communities and see if you can teach those
different things to those who have the same mental and physical capabilities as

those left behind.

And I leave you with this final thought, from a blog called Jesus' General
(warning, although it has some of best satirical commentary I've seen, it's not
 for the easily offended): Republican Jesus says:"Thanks to the President's
Ownership Society, it is now easier for a
rich man to go through the eye of  a needle than for a poor one to get out
of New Orleans."

Best,
Marlena in Missouri
always looking at the other side