[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:53:31 -0400

At 11:34 PM 9/2/2005, you wrote:

> [...]

Paul, what do you think of the fact that our treasury is empty because
billionaire level people got most of the money?  Or do you think that's
just a myth propagated by Bush haters?  It's true, but for the sake of
argument, let's assume it's not true and the middle class got all the tax
money (an average of about $600 per return).  Don't you think it's just
plain stupid to put one's country into a position where it has no money?

Dude, Canada has been in receivership since the late 60s. We are perilous. We live with it.

In 1998, we had an absolutely terrible ice storm in a huge part of Quebec. People spent 3 weeks without heat in the heart of a very brutal winter. BILLIONS of dollars of damage was done, but people from as far as 500 miles were taking their OWN vehicles and working in sub-zero conditions immediately to fix the problems -- and most of Canada doesn't even LIKE Quebec (jk). Of course there were fuckhead opportunists in the Montreal area who preyed on people by jacking prices up and there was some looting. But, the thing was that the vast majority of people did what they could, without ANY government intervention and acted out of the goodness of their hearts and fixed the problem as fast as was humanly possible. They didn't throw money at the problem. They actually put their OWN boots on and did something. I see NONE of that in this 'disaster'. People were abandoned by their government and the national guard, FEMA etc. but they were also abandoned by the other 400,000 people who "knew better". It doesn't seem that ANYONE who can is trying to help. It's just sickening. They are obviously helpless people and they have no help.

Then to set up DHS and have it do absolutely nothing.  Slate said Chertoff
proved he could pull together a very efficient press conference.  You keep
saying the poor are feasting off this government tit.  I think that's
scapegoating, like the religious right blaming the gays for the hurricane.

take a look at who the people are who are STILL in New Orleans. Ask yourself why. It's not their fault. I'm not scapegoating. It's just the way it is. And the thing is, it was predictable and technically avoidable. In reality, it obviously was NOT avoidable, afterall, it actually happened.

Paul