[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 22:03:20 -0400

At 09:54 PM 9/2/2005, you wrote:

> [...]

Maybe there's still hope.  Maybe you're more affected by this than you want
to admit and you can't let yourself feel it.

You think I'm a Republican. You think I'm an Atheist. Don't cast aspersions on me. I'm not a heartless bastard. I'm trying to be pragmatic. The fact that you actually think that tears from Geraldo fucking Rivera mean anything other than a photo-op is telling about you.

Everyone should have gotten out. They ignored the warning. Maybe they were too poor. Maybe they were too stupid. Maybe they had no choice. The fact is, they should have been gone. They weren't and then they were abandoned by their usually mother tit-offering government. They are victims, NOT of this storm. They are victims of a complete lack of organization, care, and action of the government who usually gives them everything. That's the tragedy. The upshot of the storm was that it was going to flood a city that was plotted in a bowl, below sea level, at the mouth of one of the biggest rivers in the world, in a known HURRICANE area. The property loss was inevitable. No LIVES needed to be lost. Everything is replaceable except the life. That's the tragedy.

Paul