[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 09:19:21 -0400

A.A. Paul, let's assume you, despite your best efforts you wound up there
(just play pretend for a minute, okay?).  What would you do?  Seriously,
what would you personally do?

> >You're right.  They're so stupid.
>
> I NEVER said they were stupid --only grossly un-organized.

A.A.  Again, you're there.  You've got the shirt on your back, the credit
card or ATM card in your wallet, however much money you might have been
carrying, and that's it.  Your house is gone, the building where you worked
is gone, buildings for miles around are devastated, roads are flooded with
toxic waste, your friends' homes are gone, the streets are flooded, the
sewers are flooded, houses are burning, gangs are marauding.  You have no
water to drink.  Even if you could get out of the Superdome (I think it was
locked, but even if you could get out) what would have been *your*
response?  What would *you* do?

> >They never even thought of it.
>
> Obviously, they DIDN'T think of it. Maybe some did, but it's the lack of
> organization. Why is that do you think?

A.A. I think that the people who get paid to organize didn't do their job.
Let's assume you decided to stay in the Superdome, suddenly you have to go
to the bathroom.  What would you have done?

> >And again not a word about DHS.  What's the point in having DHS except
> >bloat the
> >government with useless agencies?
>
> What the fuck are you talking about?

A.A. What the fuck am I talking about.  THE FUCKING DHS DIDN'T LIFT A
FUCKING FINGER.  What could I be talking about?  What if Guilliani sat back
and did nothing on 9/11?  And the day after and the day after that?  Why
was this agency set up?  To fight only terrorism?  The terrorists are
sitting back and rejoicing at Bush's destruction of his own largest port
city, his oil refining infrastructure.  You're kidding, right, asking me
what the fuck am I talking about?

> >BTW, a lot of the more sophisticated flushing systems won't work by
gravity.

> Irony at its finest. They probably had those silly toilets that rely on
> electric eyes. Although, isn't the NO Superdome like 30+ years old?

A.A. If they had a hole in the ground, the stuff had no where to go.  The
sewers were flooded.

> >I have a G-Max mechanism in one of the toilets in my house, so I know.
>
> I bet you don't know how it works. You just know how it DOESN'T. And you
> call ME a negative person.

A.A. I don't know how it works.  I said I was clueless how to flush
"manually" (your word) without a bucket.  Again, what would you do?  Flip
answers like "I wouldn't be there" entitle you to a senior post with the
DHS.

Andy Amago