[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 23:08:25 +0100

More of Lawrence's standard fayre.

On the one side we have his predominant position that the left can't read the
situation, that it is incorrect in applying full blame on the US for 9/11. (It
doesn't of course, but we shouldn't let facts get in the way of rhetoric.) On
the other side we have his other position that the left thinks the US and
Britain should get out of Iraq now. Notice that all he ever seems to be
concerned about is the political opposition. It doesn't matter about those in
power. Why's that?

Interesting leap between the two of course. On one side we have the
consideration of blame, whilst on the other the consideration of policy. What
happens when we swap the two about? The questions become:

What does the left consider should be done in the 'War on Terror'?

Who is to blame for the situation in Iraq?

No doubt Lawrence could supply answers to both. First though he should make a
study of the word nuance.

Simon