[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:45:39 -0500

Andreas Ramos wrote:

What are your thoughts on five years ago?

I'm mostly confused, and mostly about two things that I just can't figure out.

1. In three and a half years, the U.S. government managed to re-build its Pacific fleet,
re-arm its land forces, build thousands of new aircraft and tanks, feed and clothe an
enormous force, fight its way across Africa, Europe, and the Pacific, and help beat two
huge military empires on two widely dispersed fronts. Yet in five years, the U.S. has
not been able to find one person hiding in a hilly, remote area without all that many
civilian centers to worry about. Is the U.S. so weak that we cannot do this? Is there
a reason we deliberately are not doing this? Is the U.S. able to do it, but unwilling to
put in the effort to do so? Are we powerful enough to do it, but lack the leadership?

I genuinely do NOT know the answers to ANY of these questions, and it both confuses and bothers me tremendously. Unfortunately, I'm also confused about another related issue:

2. In the same time it took the U.S. to go from military second-rate power (having its Pacific fleet badly damaged, no air force or armored force to speak of, no army able to match either Germany's or Japan's) to being a military super-power, the U.S. went from defender of the free world (defender of human rights, defender against military aggression, friend to the refugee, an unquestioned and unmatched military power), to a country labeled by most of the world as an aggressor, a repressive government, and a military power that can't seem to defend its own troops against home-made weapons.

Why? Was the U.S. really so hollow in its military capabilities? If the problem is just one of leadership, how could that have such a dramatic impact on military capability? What impact
will this weakness have on future U.S. security? How could the same country do so much
in the four years of WWII, and so little in the four years of the Iraqi war? What happened?

I genuinely wish someone could explain these things to me.  Anyone? Please?

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA