[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:21:23 +0100

>Which, Mike tells us, is a dirty rotten shame because our neither
> our blood-lust nor our corporate greed is going to solve the problem,
>not the "root causes of 9/11" which scholar after scholar
>(Mike doesn't read scholars so I'll fill this in for him) tell us is a
> virulent Jihadist ideology formulated by Sayyid Qutb.

Mike is clearly better off not reading "scholars."  Alternatively, you
read only one type or ignore the ones you read who say something
different.

Let me ask two questions.

Is the ideology influenced by Qutb a necessary condition for
terrorism and in particular, suicide attacks?

Is that ideology a sufficient condition?

Judy Evans, Cardiff