[lit-ideas] Re: Barnett's Blueprint for Action

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 23:54:01 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Lawrence Helm
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 9/9/2006 11:06:50 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Barnett's Blueprint for Action

Irene,

I haven't watched the news today and so couldn't very well be reacting to it,
but if I were I wouldn't react as absurdly as you suggest.

A.A. That's old news.  I posted a link anyway.  BBC has it.  It's all over the
place.  It's probably not big news because everybody's known it for years
except those who wouldn't admit it.

L.H. But beyond that when did I ever say there was a connection between Saddam
and OBL?  Let me put it another way, I never said there was a connection
between Saddam and OBL.

A.A. Then why did we invade them?  Ah, yes, WMD and to spread democracy.  9/11
was just a coincidence, a rhetorical device.

L.H.  I know Saddam supported some terrorist training.

A.A. If he did, which I've never heard that he did, it was nothing close to
what was going on in Afghanistan, the war we forgot about.  Saddam was too busy
building palaces and gassing Kurds.  He was too busy terrorizing his own people
to care about us.

L.H.  I heard of some Al Quaeda members who contacted their counterparts in
Iraq,

A.A. After we created a haven for them, yes indeed.

L.H. but OBL himself, no.

A.A.  OBL is shorthand for al Qaeda.  It's fewer letters to type.  OBL is
irrelevant at this point.  They dismantled (past tense) the OBL room.  It's
gone.  That's how important OBL himself is 5 years after the fact.

L.H, So, you're making that up -- getting your imagination confused with
reality once again -- much the same way that Andreas makes things up by the way.

A.A.  Well at least I got company.

L.H. Well, of course Europe has learned that war doesn't pay.  They have
initiated the bloodiest wars the planet has ever seen, two of them.  They must
have learned something from that.

A.A.  Indeed.  That's why they told us not to invade Iraq and we did not listen.

L.H.  And we bailed them out both times, not all of them, just the ones that
were losing.

A.A.  And it went to our heads.  And now we need them to bail us out.  Fair's
fair and they don't want to play.  Tsk tsk.

L.H,  And it?s a good thing that the U.S. has yet to learn that war doesn't
pay.

A.A. Even after it started a war and lost it virtually on day one.  We didn't
learn vicariously from watching the European experience and participating to
some extent, we didn't learn from Vietnam, we didn't learn from starting a war
in Iraq, and we didn't even counsel the Israelis with our unlearned experience
that war doesn't pay.  They at least did learn it doesn't pay.  Hopefully they
learned but who knows.   The U.S. will keep working on it until it does learn.

L.H.  Look at all the troops we lost bailing the European losers out in two of
their World Wars.  Look at all the troops we lost in bailing out China by
warring against the Japanese.

A.A.  Nowhere near as many as they lost.  The Russians alone ...

L.H.  On the other hand, we could have saved all those American troops

A.A.  Not after Pearl Harbor we couldn't.  WWI was another fiasco started by
our brethren that needed to dispose of some excess population.

L.H.  and let all those weak-kneed losers stew in their own juice if we had
learned your lesson, ?that war doesn't pay.?

A.A.  Not really, unless Pearl Harbor didn't matter.  Plus Churchill and FDR
were good buddies.  Plus other reasons.  No, we couldn't.

L.H.  I think you must be a brilliant strategist Irene to suggest we shouldn't
have been engaging in war.  I can't imagine why I didn't think of that before.

A.A.  Well, in fact we shouldn't be engaging in Iraq.  I think it would take
less than a brilliant strategist to know that we'd be greeted with more than
flowers.  Neocons, the new flower power.  Like groovy.  Turn on, tune in, drop
a bomb, uh, drop out ...  I am the walrus ... 9, 9, 9, ... All we are saying
... What a long strange trip it's been ...  Neocons spelled backwards is ... is
... snocoen ...

Lawrence