[lit-ideas] Re: Barnett's Blueprint for Action

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:27:19 -0700

Fat Man,

I was struck by Bowman's approach to the history of Honor.  He develops his
history almost completely through literary sources.  Anyone with a
foundation in literature would, I suspect, enjoy this book (recommended to
be by a lurker, btw).  Bowman approach is similar to Edward Said's in
Orientalism.

I'm surprised that you and Irene and Andreas are so dead set on giving the
Soviets extra credit for dying in such huge numbers.  The Marine Corps has a
very different way of looking at such matters.  We were told that we should
do our best to make sure the enemy did the dying, not us.  But, to each his
own.

Lawrence

  _____