[lit-ideas] Barnett's Blueprint for Action

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 16:12:26 -0700

Eric,

If you go to Thomas Barnett's sight and scroll down, you'll find
<http://www.booktv.org/ram/afterwords/1005/arc_btv102905_4.ram> Watch Thomas
P.M. Barnett interviewed by Rep. Tom Feeney (R-FL) on "After Words"

This is a CSPAN 2 interview with Barnett having to do with his new book,
Blueprint for Action, which you can view on RealPlayer.  While this
interview would answer Andreas' questions about how Barnett's process would
end in World Peace, I've essentially already answered those questions in
previous notes and he has responded to them without reading them; so I don't
think Andreas has the objectivity necessary to watch this 58 minute
interview.  But you do.

One of the most provocative elements in this interview is that Barnett
thinks we ought to let Iran have nuclear weapons.  He presents a powerful
argument for this point of view.  I believe that whenever we discussed the
question, I used some term like "if it is truly unacceptable that Iran have
nuclear weapons, then we should be prepared to bomb them if they are close
to obtaining those weapons."  Perhaps I didn't say that every time, but I
probably said it fairly often. Which is to say that I did have some doubt
about how much danger a nuclear Iran would represent; so I wasn't hostile to
what Barnett had to say.  However the Iranian leaders have expressed the
wish to see Israel destroyed and Barnett seemed rather weak on what he
thought Israel might do.

Lawrence