[lit-ideas] Re: Barnett's Blueprint for Action

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:47:29 +0100

LH>You obviously missed the absurdity of Irene's statement
LH> and my drawing attention to it.

I read both posts, Lawrence.  I don't read all the lit-ideas posts,
I admit; some are too long (IMO).  I'm not though sure which
statement of Irene's you meant.

Anyway.  My reaction has nothing to do with the context/s of those
of your comments that I singled out (but if you feel the context/s
exonerate them, please say so).  It's all to do with the history of
"Europe"-baiting on this list and its predecessor (a baiting you did not
begin; my anger predates your posts, you will find it in Phil-Lit's
archives).  It's crass, it's unpleasant, it's historically inaccurate,
and when not that, historically ill-informed, it's nasty.  It
continues in the face of factual correction.

Garry Younge was surprised to find (some) Americans saying
"If it weren't for us, you'd be speaking German now".  ("No",
he's been known to reply, "I'd probably be speaking Yoruba".)
You know what? If it weren't for the French, you'd be speaking
the Queen's English now.

My Polish neighbours moved out about a fortnight ago but not, as they
were going to, to return to Poland; they have a flat there but
are staying in Cardiff, in a smaller house.  They're part of Britain's
settled Polish community. Poland never formally surrendered to
Germany, the Poles fought on inside and outside mainland
Europe, and their Air Force was crucial to the Battle of Britain.

My neighbour is somewhat younger than that. He doesn't talk about
that.  He does talk about his liberation by Russian soldiers.
He speaks of their kindness.

Back off.

Judy Evans, Cardiff