[lit-ideas] Re: Barnett's Blueprint for Action

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 20:25:11 -0400

Lawrence, glad to see you didn't hang up your saddle after our last shoot out.
I've heard Barnett speak before (can't seem to get the below link to open) and
he didn't say much of anything that grabbed me beyond we need new rule sets.
Maybe he has a plan but somehow I doubt that one person other than me has all
the answers.  Think of it this way.  Who was scarier than Red China?  They got
the bomb and what happened?  Nothing.  They went on to give us cheap goods at
Walmart.  Likewise with Iran.  From what I can figure out, it's more a prestige
thing with Iran.  They consider themselves a regional power and want into the
club.  It's also unlikely they would share the technology with Hezbollah since
Iran influences but doesn't directly control Hezbollah.  I heard a discussion
on this subject and it seems that at one point the U.S. invited the USSR to
nuke China preemptively.  The USSR wisely declined the offer and that leaves
the U.S. as the party with the aggressive tendenci
 es.  It's possible that Teheran may simmer down once it gets the bomb, if it
gets the bomb, since it will have achieved nuclear parity.  They're a long way
off from the centrifuges (or whatever equipment) that they need to take the
next step to bomb making.  Hopefully the Israelis won't overreact and get
together with the U.S. to take the preemptive action against Iran that the U.S.
missed an opportunity for with China.  Truly, do you think Iran wants to fry?
That's what would happen if they attack Israel.