[Linux-Anyway] Re: internal mail/cigarettes

  • From: Scott Robbins <scottro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 19:09:15 -0500

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 03:25:44PM -0700, Meph Istopheles wrote:

> > >   Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.
>
> > >   Meph
>
> > "What is hateful you do not do to your neighbor: that is the
> > whole Torah."
> > --Shammai

There's a story, probably apocryphal about this:

The town fool goes to a rabbi and says, Teach me the Torah (the first
five books of the Old Testament) while I stand on one foot, before I
lose my balance.  The rabbi chases him away angrily, saying I have
studied Torah all my life and still don't completely understand it, you
fool. blah blah.
The scene is repeated with a few other noted rabbis.  Eventually, the
fool goes to Rabbi Hillel, who, to make the story more interesting, is
taking a bath. The fool insists that he leave his bath and come speak.

Hillel is given the same challenge--teach the fool the meaning of the
Torah while the fool stands on one leg. Hillel says, no problem, stand
on one leg.

Then Hillel says, "That which is hateful to you, do not unto another."
The fool says, "That's it?"  Hillel says, Yuppers--the rest is
commentary, go home and study.  :)

Christianity, in its ideal form, took it one step further--rather than
don't do what's hateful it said love another as yourself.

--
Scott

Buffy: I don't wanna' bug Giles. He's still kinda' twitchy
when it comes to the subject of Angel.

Xander: Oh, it must be that whole 'Angel killed his girlfriend and
tortured him' thing, and Giles is petty when it comes to stuff like
that.