[Linux-Anyway] Re: internal mail/cigarettes

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:49:53 +0200

Meph Istopheles wrote:

>  Horror,
>
>  I was going to ask what e-mailer you're using, but I see it's
>the Mozilla reader.  I've not seen =20 at the end of lines in a
>long time;-).

Oi, e mischterium! How does =20 come there? And more importantly, how do
I not let it? It's the same mailer I've been using for Linux Newbies and
my previous post here, and it didn't play that trick on me then.

>>Er... what? Have I just emerged out of a time hole? What
>>theocracy?
>>

>  Ya gotta watch G dubyau Bush (though not too closely).  He's
>really starting to piss a lot of us off with his xian-ising of
>this xian nation.  And since 9-11, things are just growing worse.
>Freedom is going out the window in favour of xian & "family"
>values almost as it was when Reagan was in office.  Anyone with
>half a brain here is either preparing for a bitter political
>battle, or looking to get the hell out.

Oh, him. I missed that aspect over perceiving him as, er, a dimwit. What
I see is everybody trying to draw a profit out of the "terrorist
menace", largely exaggerating the real danger, this includes companies
as well as government bodies. A kind of better Y2K-scare. Well, it's
quite common, in times of crisis, it's always the reactionary that gain
influence (in Europe, the right-wing parties are also gaining). I'd hope
the dislike for the current government would be strong enough to give a
third political party real influence, but the best one can hope for is
the favour swinging over to the "democrats". (Remember that Simpsons
episode where aliens replace Clinton and Dole, and after they are
uncovered, one of them gets elected because "that's the way the
political system is, and if someone doesn't like the choice, he can
throw his vote away", or something like that).
That'll pass, hopefully before they can make lot damage. If it's any
comfort, the other party wouldn't have behaved much differently, except
for the religious element. And don't hold your breath waiting for the
other party to reverse any opressive legislation, unless there's great
pressure by the people.

Cheers
Horror Vacui