[Linux-Anyway] Re: internal mail/cigarettes

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 15:24:09 -0700 (PDT)

  Horror,

> >  I was going to ask what e-mailer you're using, but I see
> > it's the Mozilla reader.  I've not seen =20 at the end of
> > lines in a long time;-).

> Oi, e mischterium! How does =20 come there? And more
> importantly, how do I not let it? It's the same mailer I've
> been using for Linux Newbies and my previous post here, and it
> didn't play that trick on me then.

  Interesting.  Before IE 4.5, M$ used some idiot mail format
used only by them for internal (M$) networks.  They were as
surprised as everyone when it became a huge issue on the 'Net,
but they expected the 'Net to conform to their way.  So, it took
quite a while bofore they changed which format they set as
default in their mailers.

  Why it's only happening here (or at least, on that e-mail), I
can't say.  First, I didn't know Mozilla even ~had~ format --
which it likely doesn't.  I can only suggest that maybe the mail
got reformatted soemwhere on the 'Net by one of the servers
between you & FreeLists -- though that's a long-shot.

> >> Er... what? Have I just emerged out of a time hole? What
> >> theocracy?

> >  Ya gotta watch G dubyau Bush (though not too closely).
> > He's really starting to piss a lot of us off with his
> > xian-ising of this xian nation.  And since 9-11, things are
> > just growing worse.  Freedom is going out the window in
> > favour of xian & "family"  values almost as it was when
> > Reagan was in office.  Anyone with half a brain here is
> > either preparing for a bitter political battle, or looking to
> > get the hell out.

> Oh, him.

  Yes -- him.  Although I hate myself for it, I find I like him
in office for some reasons, but this xian-ising of his is getting
to be too damn much.  Then, he's starting to look rather shakey
lately over the economy too.  Again, I hate myself for liking
him.

  And no -- I did ~not~ vote for him.

> I missed that aspect over perceiving him as, er, a dimwit.

  Heh.  He plays a pretty good game, though.

> What I see is everybody trying to draw a profit out of the
> "terrorist menace", largely exaggerating the real danger, this
> includes companies as well as government bodies. A kind of
> better Y2K-scare.

  Interesting perspective.  While I've been watching the
profeteering, I'd not thought of this "terrorist menace" as
exaggeration.  Maybe I've watched too much Star Trek Next
Generation, but I'd like it if all countries could do something
along the lines of the EC -- in respect to becomeing on political
entity, yet retaining ethnic difersity.

  I know that may be a little naive, but I like the idea.  And I
don't care for the fatalistic ideals of terrorism.

> Well, it's quite common, in times of crisis, it's always the
> reactionary that gain influence (in Europe, the right-wing
> parties are also gaining). I'd hope the dislike for the current
> government would be strong enough to give a third political
> party real influence, but the best one can hope for is the
> favour swinging over to the "democrats".

  Yes.  But the (I'm sure) American-ism of "The grass is always
greener on the other side of the fence" rather holds true -- in
many respects -- with Europe.  While I'd only lived in London, I
was amazed at how much better the food was, how much more I
enjoyed the company of the people I'd met, etc.  So, I'll still
take central Europe over the US any day.

  Meph

--
  Try to value useful qualities in one who loves you.