[liblouis-liblouisxml] Proposal for capital and emphasis in UEB

  • From: Keith Creasy <kcreasy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 15:41:16 +0000

Dear all.

We at APH are working on a project to create high-quality braille from
publisher's files to be embossed using the new BANA UEB specifications.
LibLouis currently has a few shortcomings that need to be addressed before we
can achieve the quality output we need. A couple of these have already been
partially implemented by us or others.

1.       Capitalization of phrases. Addition of cap-phrase sign and end
cap-phrase sign along with implementation to support it.

2.       Correct UEB capitalization within words with mixed case.

3.       Correct application of symbols to begin and end emphasis (typeforms).

4.       Support for additional, custom, typeforms provided by UEB.

We are proposing doing this coding ourselves. Along with some corrections to
the tables, with deference to the work Joseph and Ken are doing on UEB tables.

One of the main changes we'd like to make is to change the way capitalization
is handled so that internally LibLouis simply treats it as another form of
emphasis. The only differences being that the attributes used for the
capitalization is inherent in the text and does not need to be passed in as an
argument when translating, and of course LibLouis handles capitalization in
reverse as well as forward translation.

Internally there is actually even less difference between emphasis (typeforms)
and how we hope to handle capitalization. Our plan is to expand the values used
in the array that indicates emphasis and, on the first pass LibLouis makes
through the text, set the array for capital emphasis at that time. Then handle
it along with all other forms of emphasis.

In order to handle cases where we have multiple emphasis or typeforms the
current implementation needs to be enhanced so that it not only knows when the
emphasis flags change but exactly how they change. This is in fact the only way
to make capitalization as a form of emphasis work. An additional benefit of
this is of course handling mixed bold, italics, and underlined text even if
they are irregularly mixed.

I know it is usually preferable to make changes in very small increments but we
don't see a way to do this for our purposes. We plan to fork LibLouis, work on
and test it while keeping in sync with the master LibLouis code as we can, and
then at some point work on merging our work back to the master repository if
that is desirable.

Mike Gray mgray@xxxxxxx<mailto:mgray@xxxxxxx> is the programmer we have tasked
with accomplishing this work. We welcome any feedback. It is our hope to
improve LibLouis for eve

Regards,
Keith Creasy
ryone