[LRflex] Re: Using the M6

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:48:32 -0800

Dave Simms wrote:
>I hope I'm not violating the required format with my responses.

Not at all. :-)

>The strength of those old Leicas was, I believe, partly due to the
>retractable (and superb) 50mm Elmar f3.5. Retract the lens and
>there's no protrusion to gather up would-be injuries.
>Dave

Partly, though the new Leicas  (M or R) will still take an awful
beating compared to "most" modern cameras. The problem is that most
pros give their cameras that beating, despite efforts to "baby"
them.  And I, for one, am guilty!

I've dropped my Leicas on tile floors & concrete roadways, dropped my
lenses on ice, got sand in 'em.. even put a stone chip in a front
element (courtesy of a barrel racer's horse and a shooting position
only an idiot would choose). The amazing thing is that they may be
damaged, but they've always worked (if not perfectly) afterwards!

What's not to like?  (Other than the repair bill, of course!)
---
David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net