[LRflex] Re: Using the M6

  • From: Walter Kramer <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 20:23:40 +1100

Jeff,

I agree but sometimes I think I have too many choices and it gets in the
way of creativity.

I'll pack an R7 kit and think well I'll just take the M6 with the 50mm
as well. But ... since I am packing the R glass I should take the Sigma
SD14 body converted to take R glass to grab some digital captures or ...
the Pana G1 with adapter to do the same ... hey, and I can also pack the
M to micro four thirds adapter on the off chance I might want to mount
the DR on the G1. And what about the Leica D 14-50mm or the D Summilux
25mm both of which I can also mount on the G1. Hang on if I take the
Leica D lenses, the Digilux 3 body produces better jpegs straight out of
the cam. So it goes.

The kit becomes heavy and unwieldly and on review I haven't used half
the stuff on a day walk. Like smoking, I'm trying to cut back.

Probably no surprise to anyone, when I limit the kit, I get shots I am
happier with.

Walter

Jeffrey L. T. Gluck wrote:
> To add at what's been said, the M and R are two very different tools. I
> have been using Leicas since the 1970s and generally use my Ms for
> everything other than macro, close-up, long-focus work. The rangefinder
> Ms have their limitations. One cannot capture a bird or small animal
> close up with an M as you are limited to a maximum focal length of 135mm
> (excepting a Visoflex set-up, of course). A great deal of my work over
> the years, in addition to the usual family snaps and some
> street/docmentary photography, has been landscape and scenic, for which
> I use the Ms. However, I always keep my SL or R7 at the ready with a
> zoom or long-focus prime lens to pick out interesting details in the
> scenery. This past Thanksgiving I used my SL with 35/2 'cron for family
> pictures, giving the Ms a well-deserved rest. It was different shooting
> wide angle with the SL, not better or worse, just different.
>
> Jeff Gluck

>    http://www.lrflex.furnfeather.net/

Walter Krämer
walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx