[LRflex] Re: Using the M6

  • From: Chris L <speleo_karst@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 01:24:17 -0800 (PST)

Advantages of an M6 over an R5 (or most SLrs):
1) It is quieter
2) It is more compact
3) It is lighter (maybe not a featherweight itself, but the lenses are far
lighter than their R equivalents)
4) It is much less noticable (partly due to quiet, partly small size and
"funny", almost P&S look to non-experts)
5) My 15mm and 21mm will both fit into a single small lens pouch with room to
spare, while the R 15mm, 19mm & 21mm won't even enter said pouch (with shades
on)
6) It is a very different shooting style. Not necessarily better or worse, but
different. More on that in the comments below
7) Wide angle lenses tend to have some advantages over their SLR equivalents,
especially concerning distortion (and size!!!)

Why a built-in light meter:
In my case I often use my 15mm and 21mm, so having the viewfinder permanently
parked on the accessory shoe is an advantage, added to by the fact that my 21mm
finder closesly approximates the 15mm coverage outside the 21mm brightlines.
I'd previously used an M4-2 with a Leicameter, but continuously switching the
meter and the viewfinder was a real PITA!
I also find that a separate meter really slows me down.
On the plus side, metering with an external meter or a Leicameter means you
aren't pointing the camera (and looking) directly at your subject as you meter,
adding to the discreetness (though pre-metering is a good work-around).

The M5:
I had an M5 for a few weeks before "upgrading" to the M6 (a great deal on the
M6 made the choice easier).
I did like the M5's shutter speed dial a lot, a kind of thinner Leicaflex dial
which can be adjusted with one finger. Ergonomics were good, but the camera
felt big and clunky (almost like an SLR...  ;-)  )
I personally didn't find any real advantage in the shutter speeds in the
viewfinder and the back loading.

I think most of your M6 troubles can be solved by time and experience. You'll
learn to compensate the shutter speed by feel ("click"). Focusing will become
more instinctive. Wide-angles are often pre-focused or (conservatively) set to
hyperfocal. Pre-metring often becomes a habit.
A pre-metered and pre-focused M6 is actually faster than any AF wonder can be.

Changing lenses:
Yes, I did once miss the pouch on my hip belt and my 90mm went crashing down
from (a tall guy's) waist height to a concrete sidewalk. The main damage was to
my nervous and circulatory system. The lens cap was badly damaged (and still is
slightly, need to replace it sooner or later). Rubber lens shade was damaged,
stuck and took some work to get off, but was fully repairable. After some
careful testing, I found the lens was o.k....
But apart that act of idiocy, I find that changing the small M lenses is
actually easier and safer than with heavier SLR lenses. Since portability is a
main feature of the M kit for me, I couldn't imagine carrying a body for each
lens around.

Hope this was use and than you learn to (also) enjoy the different shooting
style...

Chris