[LRflex] Re: Using the M6

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 09:54:00 -0800

Dave Simms wrote:
>One nice thing about Leicas is that, no matter what they look like,
>they're tough. I once read about one of those old ones, 3C or
>something, that got dropped from a plane onto a desert in the US.
>Apparently, it still worked fine and the film was ok, once developed.
>There's our Leica myth for the morning, eh ?
>Dave

G'mornin' Dave!

Apparently, that 3C was tougher than my R5.  I had mine parked in my
lap and, after a few too many beers - to quench the Bangkok heat, I
stood up ... neglecting to first take the camera out of my rapidly
disappearing lap.  The camera hit the tile floor, lens side down,
damaging the lens' focusing threads beyond use and crushing the
mirror box beyond repair.

Surprisingly, the camera (though not the Tamron 24mm lens) continued
to work (good thing, as my backup body - an R6 - was home, in
Canada!) for the rest of the trip; although shots taken wide open
were a wee bit soft.  If the lens was stopped down to f4 or 5.6, they
were fine!

David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net