[LRflex] Pond Hockey

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:46:07 -0800

The 4th annual Western Cup of Pond Hockey was held in our little
town, this last weekend. Pond hockey is a growing movement in Canada
and it's starting to appear in the US, as well.  Played outdoors,
there are 4 men to a side, with one spare.  No goalie.  The nets are
1 meter wide but only a little taller than the puck is wide.

The game is played in fun, with the emphasis on
sportsmanship.  Alcohol is not permitted (though, I'm sure, copious
quantities are consumed after the day's play!).  All 24 teams had a
good time ... so much so that 8 have already signed up for next year. :-)

Some teams sport names like "The Calgary Rednecks" (oil field
workers) and "The Prairie Fires" (a team of off-duty
firemen).  Others are more fanciful, such as the "Orange BeerNuts",
the "Tragically Hip Checks", the "Beer Barons", the "Guzzlers", and,
of course,my favourites -- the "Drunken Stupors".  ;-)

Of course, not all the teams live up to their names ...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/PH10_01.html

The weather had been warm - well above freezing - for the previous
week, making the ice very soft.  Thus, during Friday's play, after
only a few minutes of play the skates had shaved enough off the
surface to make a few centimeters of "snow", which, in turn, made
skating and shooting difficult.

Thus, the specialty of the day was the "fan shot"...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/PH10_02.html

Ruts in the ice often resulted in problems...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/PH10_03.html

I had to be out of town on Saturday, but by Sunday, the weather was
better - going to -9 at night, and only +2 by day.  Our local ATV
club, who prepare the 6 rinks, were out between 1 and 3 AM, flooding
the rings.  Conditions and play were much better...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/PH10_04.html

More from Sunday, to follow...

Comments, criticism appreciated, as always.

David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Personal Website: www.main.furnfeather.net