[LRflex] Re: Pond Hockey

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 07:56:35 -0800

http://www.main.furnfeather.net/LL-Life/Goal1.html
http://www.main.furnfeather.net/LL-Life/Mouth.html
http://www.main.furnfeather.net/LL-Life/Race.html

Philippe:   Thanks, Philippe, for your kind words.  It was, indeed, "Real fun"!

Aram: Thanks, too. Pity about the lack of snow, in Yosemite. :-( Have a safe trip home.

Charlie: There is an old Canadian saying.... '' there we were, watching the Saturday night fights, when a Hockey game broke out!" In Pond Hockey, there is no body contact, thus no fighting. One very brief set of fisticuffs did break out, between two players, and the instigating team was instantly disqualified from the rest of the tournament. That lesson was not lost on the other teams.

Xavier: You asked: "All Olympus or Lympa with the Pumping Bazooka + a maple handle?" This was an all Olympus affair. The "Pumping Bazooka", as you call it, would place me too far from the rink, with too many spectators would be in my way.

After some experimentation, the best vantage point turned out to be in a corner, using both the 12~60 Zuiko and 1.4x converter. The combination worked remarkably well, though the finder became dark enough that I had to remove my sunglasses!

In 2007 I used the R8+DMR and the 80~200/4 Vario. Although I got some great shots, I lost far too many simply because I could not focus quickly enough on the fast moving skaters. I found that the AF on the OLY is both fast and remarkably accurate. However, using the central focus point gave many focusing errors, for that spot was often between the players, and the camera would focus on the distant trees. Using the multi-point (all) method proved much more reliable in this situation.

Thank you, all, for looking.