[LRflex] Re: Pond Hockey

  • From: William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:09:05 -0800

David,

No. no, I love it. It is such a spectacular picture that I had to ask.

Congratulations for "seeing" the possibility of the picture and then
"doing" what needed to be done (tripod, 21mm wide open, mirror per-
release, etc.).

It is amazing to me that v1.2 and AWB got you something you could
work with from those varieties of lights with differing lighting levels.

It certainly demonstrates something about digital dynamic range if
anyone is concerned about that.

It is, to me, however, most of all, a picture full of charm.

All my best,

Bill

On Jan 28, 2007, at 9:43 PM, David Young wrote:

At 28/01/2007, you wrote:
> David,
>
> It is a very nice pictorial narrative, in the Time/Life tradition of
> letting the pictures tell the story.
>
> I enjoyed it very much, especially the magical picture of Logan Lake
> in the distance, with artificial lights on the rink, and what appears
> to be a setting sun in the distance above the town lights. It is
> stunning.
>
> Would you care to share with us how you handled the exposure and
> the WB?
>
> All my best,
>
> Bill

You're going to hate me for this, Bill....

but the truth is...

a) Tripod.
b) 21/f4 SA wide open.
c) zone focus (infinity selected)
d) Automatic exposure, 'A' - aperture Priority. 1/3 second.
e) AWB
f) use self-timer w/mirror pre-release.

ISO = 400 w/2 stops under exposure =  ISO 1600

To be honest, the lights are some sort of high energy do-dads
borrowed from the local copper mine.  Very unusual light balance...
made everything go green.  Took me about 2 minutes of fiddling to get
the snow, near the right, to look white. I took the rest for what it
was, and figured it was OK.

And, thanks. I like the shot, too!

Cheers