[LRflex] Re: Photokina and other disasters...

  • From: keith.r.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:47:52 +0100

Hi Javier,

Well regarding patents I'm fairly sure it will be 20 years if the owner m=
aintains
them - i.e. keeps paying the fees (I'm named as inventor on 15 granted US=

patents, for my sins, none helpful to this problem!!). the different time=

estimates comes from the issue of knowing how long it took from first fil=
ing
to grant. However, either way  I suspect the patents won't have run out y=
et
- even if they have there is still the issue of doing the ASIC design wor=
k,
testing, etc., which I would guess will take a minimum 18 months from pro=
ject
start.

Regarding focus, I'm pleased to hear for you it is not an issue, however,=

I'm just not able to focus that reliably  any longer due to an eyesight p=
roblem
(i.e. the 80 f1.4 wide open / one/ two stops down has become hit and miss=
).
I'm not saying there is any defect with the camera or MF 'on demand' conc=
ept
but for me focus confirmation (as far as I have tried it so far) looks li=
ke
it might be an answer for my circumstances. It also allows me to switch t=
digital on a budget of under =A3600 / ~US$1000 (400D body and 2 adaptors)=
.
Hence my earlier concern 'is the confirmation accurate' - a quick test su=
ggests
it is but I'll post my findings (if anyone is interested ;-)) after I've
tried it out in 'real' situations.

By the way, I think I recall reading (in AP?) Contax had to drop the focu=
confirmation because they ran out of chips (ICs) and the old design could=
n't
be put on a new process. But my memory on this is hazy to say the least!

Best regards
Keith