[LRflex] Re: Photokina and other disasters...

  • From: "telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:00:20 -0400

Chris Birchenhall <chris@tarsier=2Efreeserve=2Eco=2Euk>

> The question is: does your statement hold for the R8/R9

No=2E

> and is it likely to hold for the R10 or whatever comes next=3F

I have no inside info, so I don't know=2E

> If not then focus confirmation may on occasion be useful and if
> it unobtrusive it can be ignored

The presence of focus confirmation requires that it compromise viewfinder
quality therefore it cannot be unobtrusive; the viewfinder is compromised
100% of the time for the sake of the few times electronic focus
confirmation would be useful=2E

> At the same time I have to ask if Leica could come up with such a fine
> screen in the SL2 why was this feature not replicated in subsequent mode=
ls

It's an expensive viewfinder to make=2E  Recall that Leitz (or so the stor=
goes) lost money on each SL2 it made=2E  The benefit of the R3 to Leitz wa=
that it cost less to make and its AE feature was more marketable than the
SL2's magnificent viewfinder and build quality=2E

> and why has it not been surpassed by other manufacturers=3F=20

Other manufacturers build to a price point much more than Leica does=2E
It's an expensive viewfinder to make=2E  Ideally I'd like to see an
SL/SL2-quality viewfinder with built-in diopter correction=2E

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www=2Ewildlightphoto=2Ecom