[LRFlex] Re: Leica R to EOS adaptors ... alternative brands.

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:15:10 -0800

Doug Herr offered:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the 20D isn't up to Leica
standards, or even Canon 1-series standards. A number of people on several
forums have had problems using manual focus at wide apertures because the
screen isn't positioned accurately enough for critical focus. Canon does
not expect the people buying this camera to use manual focus for their
critical photos. AF will be accurate (plus or minus one DOF) but the AF
system doesn't use the viewscreen. The manufacturing tolerances are loose
enough that a significant percentage of the bodies leaving the factory -
within specs - cannot be used for critical manual focus. Best bet - buy
several, test for critical manual focus, and when you find one that will
work for you, return the rest of 'em.

Good morning Doug mon ami,

I must be the luckiest guy on the planet with new equipment, whether Leica, Canon or Leicanon because when I read some of the posts from folks about the problems they encounter, in particular this focusing ,I haven't experienced them. "So far!"

Like I said earlier, I used the 80-200 f4.0 with an adapter last week on assignment in Hawaii and if there's any errors, "it's from the fault of the user" and not the camera. However, I will say faults are few and far between created by being in too much of a rush and not the camera-lens combination! Other than that this outfit is working far better than I expected.

All of what you say about the experiences of others using this Leica--Canon 20D combination maybe true, pointing up I may well be the luckiest photographer around in purchasing an off the shelf 20D. However, I will take your comments as good heads-up advice and do extra special test shootings wide open over the weekend with a number of lenses I'll be using next week on assignment.

The assignment will be indoors under available light medical scenes & I can't afford to find the 80mm Summilux 1.4 wide open or any of the others creating coke bottle sharpness wide open. :-(

I will let the list know what I discover from the testing, "if there are defects wide open." Otherwise it's case closed. Thanks again for your heads-up.
ted