[LRFlex] Re: Leica R to EOS adaptors ... alternative brands.

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:40:35 -0800

Hi Guys,
Given I just arrived back from Hawaii where I used a Canon 20D and several Leica R lenses with Stephen Gandy adapters all I can say is they work beautifully.

I'm not one to mess around playing changing adapters and lenses when the photo mood is right, so I bought 3 adapters for quick lens changes and a couple of Canon lenses.

A quick look at images down loaded from full 1 & 2 gig cards to computer last evening it appears at first glance everything looks great. :-) My biggest frustration was "changing lenses not adapters" nothing but a big pain in the ass.

In film on "work assignments" use 3 M7's and 2 or 3 motor driven R8's at the same time, however before getting all hung-up into digital it was only 1 20D for starters. Obviously some corrections are to be made considering my load of Leica R glass. And only one camera body!!! :-(

So to alleviate this situation I'm likely going to another 20D body and eliminate some more of the frustration for the remainder of this year's shooting. And as 3 M7's languish on the shelf un-used for several months now, not to mention R8's and motor drives. It appears I'm moving into the full blown digital mode using Leica glass and adapters. :-)

There's an obvious "good look image from the Leica glass" in the 20D results, particularly with the 80-200 f4.0 zoom and adapter. Not only that, but the extra reach without weight factor due to the sensor size is interesting without toting a 280mm 2.8, extenders or longer lenses.

But it never occurred to me to go any place else for adapters simply because Stephen Gandy stands by his products and if you have a seemingly problem he's only a quick phone call away with solid advice. Besides I like to stick with buying from people I know and their immediate reputation than new people unknown. However, that's the way I look at life, others have theirs and quite often never the twain shall agree. ;-)

ted

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Bledsoe" <d30gaijin@xxxxxxxxx>