[LRFlex] Re: Leica R to EOS adaptors ... alternative brands.

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:07:17 -0800

Dr. Elliot Puritz asked:

Please stay with me for just a second. I apologize if I have missed the essence of the previous discussion concerning the use of R lenses on the Canon 20D. Am I correct in offering that using the correct adaptor ( possibly from Steve ), that one can mount virtually any R lens on the Canon 20D<<<<<<<<<

Hello Elliot,

Yep! :-)

I'm as we speak, printing 18X12 prints on 13X19 paper shot with the 80-200 f. 4.0 zoom with adapter in Hawaii last week and they're as sharp as if I'd used an R8 and lens. Although with the 20D I pick-up extra focal length due to the sensor size. But man it's a big bonus for me because I work a great deal with long and or super wide glass. So the 80-200 becomes 128mm-320mm zoom and it's a piece of cake to handle because you don't have any weight increase.

So get yourself a Canon 20D body, an adapter or two. Or one, and leave it locked on the 20D body and just click your leica lenses on or off as using an R body! ;-) That simple and amazingly effective. And because we're manual focus types in the normal sense of our Leica gear it's not a new way of using the lenses mounted on the digital body.

Then I'd suggest getting the newly released digital zoom lens, Canon 10mm-22mm! A beauty and of course it's an auto-focus lens! And as sharp as all get out! :-) This is equivalent to a 16mm-35mm film lens. I also use the Leica 21-35 and 35-70 zooms with the 20D and they're great! Obviously with adapter.

By the time Leica come out with the R digital back I wouldn't be surprised they'll have lost a great number of R users to Canon digital bodies, and in particular the 20D! It's light in weight, very comfortable in hand and a piece of cake to handle. Quite frankly it's becoming the best of two worlds due to the Leica glass and digital body combination.

ted

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm