[LRFlex] Re: Leica R to EOS adaptors ... alternative brands.

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:48:35 -0800

Dave Saalsaa asked:

So Ted,
Can you tell a difference between the fingerprint of the Leica lenses and the Canon lenses? I just bought a R to EOS adaptor (I don't even have the Canon 20 D yet) but my friend has a couple of 10 Ds so I thought I might borrow one for a few hours and play with it before committing to a 20D. I would probably have to buy one of the ultra wide angle Canon zoom lenses but have a full compliment of Leica R lenses from 24 to 400mm and I am anxious to get started.

Hi Dave,
Well I don't know about the finger print of lenses as I never quite understood what fella's meant by that. However, if you mean leica sharp? Yeah the images look sharp where they're supposed to be, nice an clean crispy and print out at 13X19 size without any problem.

I haven't even had a problem focusing stopped down to 8 or 11 with any of the leica glass and the 80-200 is a dream to work with on the 20D. Although it would be nice to have the R8 size viewfinder, but you get over it the more you use the 20D. I'd say if you have access to a digi camera I'd go for it and make up your own mind. As you well know what looks good to one shooter's eye is sometimes considered as a disaster by another. ;-)

But in this case I can't imagine you'd be disappointed. I took an M7 with a 15mm and 40 rolls of film "just in case" and it never came out of the bag!

As far as the super wide Canon 10-22 zoom " 16-35 " film equivalent, it's a dream lens and if you're accustomed to working with the R15 this is as close as it gets. And it's sharp and crisp as well. I was shooting night street scenes at 3200 with it and it's unbelievable what one can capture and still have fine looking prints. Oh yeah and that was hand held! ;-)

But like I say for those who are doubting Thomas's about this, I can only offer before you start shooting the concept down, put a camera and R lens where your opinion is first. My results for the past 4 months have been excellent and although the "adapter and lenses" have about 2 months use I'm not the least disappointed with the arrangement... other than I need another 20D body! ;-)

Now if we could only get "auto-focus leica glass? ;-) Like wow! :-) Hey and this comes from a manual focus leica user of 50 years! :-)

ted