[jhb] Re: Progress

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 17:53:05 -0000

I guess it must seem like I am rebuilding the past but having never used FSX
I am attempting to catch up with the evolution of FS. It is going to be a
learning curve whatever I do so trying to restore FS2004 to the point at
which I stopped using it gives me a yardstick to progress from.

After a four year absence I really have forgotten how to use FS so working
with a familiar interface may speed the learning process up. Oddly enough
the flying is not a problem (not in the C172 anyway) as that all came back
very quickly - it's the FS key command sets and mouse operation that has
been lost.

Once I have regained my familiarity with FS2004 and feel more at ease I'll
add the photo scenery and a couple of aircraft so I can expand to IFR flight
and complex cockpits. That should then give me the background to provide a
yardstick for comparison when moving up the FSX.

I have no doubt FSX is visually better than FS2004 and I look forward to
seeing this. Only then can I start testing the fidelity of the flight models
and if I see any difference it may be that I'll keep FS2004 for its aircraft
handling and use FSX to see the pretty bits.

Alternatively I might decide to use FSX for its visual content and replace
FS2004 with Xplane 9 for really accurate flight dynamics.

http://woodair.net